Know When To Stop
KNOW WHEN TO STOP
- For most people gambling is an exciting and fun recreational pursuit. For some individuals, gambling may result in addiction with devastating consequences for them, their families and friends. At TopSport we understand the dangers of gambling beyond your means and we wish to protect our members. We want you to stay in control of your gambling and not allow gambling to control you.
At TopSport we work with NSW Gambling Help who offer assistance to anyone who is affected personally or by a loved ones' compulsive gambling. Gambling Help offer a range of free services such as support groups, live chat and email counselling across numerous languages. You can contact NSW Gambling Help on:
- www.gamblinghelp.nsw.gov.au; or
- Tollfree 1800 858 858
- Be Responsible - Are you developing a Problem?
- Recognising that you may be developing a gambling problem is the first step to regaining control.
- Gambling should be entertaining and not be seen as a means of making money.
- Only gamble what you can afford to lose.
- Avoid chasing losses.
- Keep track of the amount of time and funds you are dedicating to gambling.
It can be useful to track your gambling habits in order to find out if you need help. If you are experiencing difficulty controlling your gambling habits, you should visit the NSW Gambling Help website and spend a few short minutes completing the anonymous self assessment questionnaire in order to determine your gambling risk level. Should you be deemed a problem gambler we encourage you to seek advice. Living with a gambling problem can be tough, but you are not alone. Confidential help and counselling is only a telephone call away at Gambling Help 1800 858 858 FREE where you can engage with counsellors who understand that you need a safe anonymous place to seek such information about problem gambling.
- Stay in Control
- We offer a number of facilities to help you keep control of your gambling.
Monitor your betting transactions You can readily access a full history of transactions, withdrawals and deposits through the "My Account" icon on our website or alternatively contact your friendly TopSport support staff on 1800 TOPSPORT.
- Research shows that gambling problems are reduced when members decide in advance how much money they are willing to spend. TopSport offers a 7 Day pre-commitment facility for members. Once you set your deposit limit, you can lower the cap effective immediately or should you decide to increase your limit, you will be required to give seven days notice, allowing you the option to reconsider your change. Again, simply contact your TopSport service officer to invoke this service.
- Self Exclusion (Temporary or Permanent)
- Self Exclusion (banning yourself from gambling websites) can be helpful in reducing your opportunities to gamble. If you need a break from gambling, you can opt to self-exclude from our services for a specified period or permanently. Our staff can provide assistance should you elect to close your TopSport account, or you can access the self-exclusion facility yourself through the "My Account" section of our website. If you feel you need more help to stop gambling, you can download software to disable your access to online gambling sites : BETFILTER or OPTENETPC
- Preventing Children from Gambling
- TopSport only accepts members who are 18 years of age or above. We seek personal documents to verify information given to us and dedicate resources to ensure minors do not wager on our website. We expect parents and guardians not to allow minors to use our services under any circumstances.
If you suspect someone underage is using the TopSport website, please contact us and appropriate action will be taken. Internet filters can reduce the chance of underage gambling and we recommend NETNANNY or CYBERPATROL
- Codes of Practice
- Certain States and bodies have set codes of practice to apply to their residents engaged in gambling or to gambling providers licensed in various jurisdictions.
The following Codes of Practice published by the South Australian Independent Gambling Authority have been adopted by TopSport in relation to its South Australian members.
- Advertising Code of Practice.
- Responsible Gambling Code of Practice.
- Requirements for Systems and Procedures designed to prevent children betting.
Similarly, TopSport supports and complies with the Australian Bookmakers Association Code of Practice which in effect comprises the following:
- To develop and promote guidelines and programmes for the responsible delivery of wagering product, and the advertising and marketing of the Bookmaking industry.
- To enhance the development of the Bookmaking industry throughout all member bodies.
- To responsibly provide services that will enable wagering to be a socially rewarding leisure and entertainment activity.
- To assist those patrons who experience wagering related difficulties with information on, and direction to, appropriate support services.
- To enhance the public perception of the Bookmaking industry.
- To comply with Government policy relevant to the Bookmakers.
- Australian Bookmakers'' Association to continue to be the body to integrate and require State Associations to develop generic initiatives for the provision of responsible gambling nationally.
Code of Practice
The Code of Practice is a voluntary code of self-regulation and is to be read in conjunction with the relevant legislation, regulation and rules of the racing codes and sports betting authorities in each State and Territory.
The handling of any complaints related to the Code is not intended to replace any policies or procedures that may exist as part of the above legislation, regulation and rules.
All Bookmakers will abide by the rules and regulations of the Government and the controlling bodies in the jurisdiction in which they propose to do business. All Bookmakers must be issued with a bona fide licence from the controlling body in their jurisdiction and operate under the authority and within the scope of that licence.
The respective Bookmaker Associations in each jurisdiction shall ensure the financial and character bona fides for all Bookmakers for whom they provide fidelity guarantees or, where applicable, ensure that obligations to Government Authorities are met.